Pages

Friday 3 January 2020

More photos taken in the Eastern Cape, South Africa, of the bird life there.

Once again I apologise for some of the slightly blurry shots. Some birds were very far and the lens was also failing to focus all of the time.  Close-ups were so much easier!

Ostrich female (Struthio camelus) flightless and the largest bird in the world....

The male was some distance away ignoring her, though she was showing off and flapping her wings around...

I wondered if they had actually mated just before we arrived.

The fastest bird, or animal in the world on two legs.

In another spot we saw a male bird sitting on eggs. All of the herd’s hens place their eggs in the dominant hen’s 3m-wide nest, though her own are given the prominent centre place; each female can determine her own eggs amongst others. The dominant female will push other eggs out if there are too many to incubate. You can see one out here, and there were another couple further afield out of the photo.

African Stonechat (Saxicola torquatus)...

As above...

As above.

Fork-tailed Drongo (Dicrusrus adsimolis)

As above.

A somewhat blurry shot of a Malachite Sunbird male out of breeding plumage (Nectarinia famosa). In the breeding season, they have a metallic malachite green plumage all over other than its rump. They are very beautiful.

Red-capped lark, (Calandrella cinerea) seen in a newly planted pineapple field...

As above...

As above...

As above.


Joining up with


and

15 comments:

  1. Hello, beautiful birds and photos. I would love to visit Africa! Happy New Year! Enjoy your day, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Africa is a must 😊 I hope 2020 is a good yera for you.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Marie, some beautiful birds there, but with a lens that was not working well it was very frustrating! Take care Diane

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thnaks Penny some interesting birds there i have to say. Keep well Diane

      Delete
  4. Hi Diane - ostriches are extraordinary creatures aren't they - and very powerful. Love seeing your photos - gorgeous ... wish I was there - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was back there also but having said that, I do love France, but so many friends still in RSA who I miss, as well as the wildlife. Cheers Diane

      Delete
  5. With the ostrich I can almost see the link to dinosaurs all those years ago. I hear they can be fairly dangerous too?

    It was interesting to hear you say you haven't seen Blackbirds on your apples. It is only in our the winter that they turn to windfall apples so I guess where you live the Blackbirds rarely experience ice and snow and don't need to resort to fruit?

    Did I wish you a Happy New Year yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Phil, you do not want to get a kick from an ostrich those legs are pretty powerful!
      We still have some apples on the ground, but no sign that any of the birds are interested. As I said though our ground is very wet, I am sure there is a good supply of worms around.
      I have lost track of who has said happy New year, also who I have said it to. 😊
      Keep warm. Diane

      Delete
  6. Decent looking drumstick on that first bird - I'm surprised they have not been eaten into extinction!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Tromso, Norway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are farmed too well to get extinct!! I must say I like ostrich neck, it is much like oxtail but with no fat.
      Cheers Diane

      Delete
  7. So wonderful are these birds! Wow, I'm speechless...And thanks for bringing them to our attention this week, at I'd Rather B Birdin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anni, I am glad that you host I'd Rather B Birdin, it makes for interesting reading and seeing birds around the world. Some great photographers out there you included.
      Cheers Diane

      Delete
  8. The Ostrich photos are particularly wonderful, Diane, and showing me this species in more detail than I've ever noticed before. What an attractive bird that Red-capped Lark is. A delightful series of shots.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting, it is appreciated and it is my policy to try to answer every one even if only to say thank you.
NO COMMENT THAT HAS A LINK WILL BE PUBLISHED, THANKS FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING.