Pages

Friday 12 June 2020

The return of the Little owls and a new camera lens.

Google seems to have been playing games and I have had a frustrating couple of days when Blogger would only download from everywhere other than my laptop where all my photos are saved!!! Today it seems to be back working. Sorry for the delay!!

The first photos were taken 8 June with my old lens that has been giving trouble for the last 8 months. (Nikon D3200 - 55 -300mm telephoto lens). The camera has almost reached maximum photos, so I was treated to a D3500 before we left for RSA in October last year. The old lens then refused to work at all on the new camera. So the D3200 plus unhappy lens has been hanging in there for the holiday, and ever since.

8 June - Nikon 3200 - 55 -300mm lens.
Little owl (Athene noctua).






Roll on to June 2020 - Taking into consideration the cost of repairs and still having a lens which is now off the market, Nigel decided that it would be better to get me a new lens that is up to date and with better magnification. On the 10th the new lens arrived and was immediately attached to the D3500. I am now enjoying the Nikon D3500 - TAMRON Megazoom - 18-400 mm. A far more useful all-round lens.
June 10 The very first photos I took trying out the Nikon D3500 - TAMRON Megazoom - 18-400 mm.
Owl number one quite far away with a fence in the way...

As above.

Owl number 2 that allowed me to sneak up on it, I was partly hidden behind a woodpile though it was watching me closely...

As above...

As above.
I have saved the best to last.  I am looking forward to having lots of fun with the new setup, now if only it would stop raining!!

Having seen both owls out at the same time does anyone know how to sex them?


See also my Photodiary 

Joining up with 


and 

27 comments:

  1. Count me out re your question!! But I can definitely see the difference ... but your photos are always pretty amazing and now will be superlative ... please don't get another lens - I've run out of praising adjectives! So pleased for you ... the weather with some sun will return over the weekend I think, for us early next week. Take care and happy clicking - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary I am so pleased with the new lens, and I cannot believe how lucky I was the first time I walk out the door with it not one but two owls were visible not too far away. We have storm warnings for today!! Have a good day Diane

      Delete
  2. Love how you kept bringing it closer. Great series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie it was fun creeping up on her/him. Stay safe, Diane

      Delete
  3. You've made my day with these wonderful shots of my favourite birds, Diane. Thank you! That lens looks great - I shall be looking at the Tamron range myself.

    I hope you both have a wonderful weekend - take good care - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have made your day. I am really happy so far with the lens but the weather is rubbish so I have not really had much use of it as yet. I was lucky to see both owls (first time ever) the first time I walked out of the door with it. Storm warnings today!!

      Best wishes to you both and take care, Diane

      Delete
  4. You made good choice of lens there Diane. The difference in quality is very striking with the last one superb.

    We've had the same wet and windy weather. Very un June like but next week is looking much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil and I am delighted with the results. I only wish the weather would change so I can get out a bit more. Next week here does not look a lot better and the cold wind is horrible.

      Have a good weekend and take care, Diane

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. You are so right. Now I just need the weather to change so I can get out a bit more to use it. Have a good day. Cheers Diane

      Delete
  6. Coucou Diane.
    Formidable série et bienvenue au 18-400 ! Tu vas pouvoir jouer à cache-cache avec les chouettes. Il y a des bébés ?
    Bon weekend encore un peu frais.
    Bisous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coucou Nathalie
      S'il y a des bébés, je ne les ai pas encore vus. Le temps n'est pas bon, le vent est très froid.
      Bisous, Diane.

      Delete
  7. So cute, my son can recognize owls now, I should show him these pics! Stay safe and healthy everyone ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalia, I am glad that your son is learning the different birds. Have a good week and stay safe, Diane

      Delete
  8. What a treasure! I'm happy to see google/blogger are now cooperating (I had the same dilemma a week ago). Hope your day has been super so far, and thanks for joining us at IRBB...that owl is precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love these owls,so often I can hear them but cannot see them, the trees are just full of foliage. Thanks goodness they also like the barn roofs!! Keep well, Diane

      Delete
  9. Oh so happy for your new camera setup Diane! And I *adore* the little owls. They remind me of the burrowing owls we know and love from near where we stay in in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sallie I am delighted with the new lens, I only wish the weather would improve so I can get out and use it a bit more. I have never know such a cold and wet June!! Keep well and take care, Diane

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Good to see you back Shiju, life has been difficult during lockdown but the owl has brightened my days. Keep well and stay safe, Diane

      Delete
  11. Nice set of pictures. Today's zooms are pretty impressive really. I really like Little Owls!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stewart, yes I agree a zoom lens makes photography so much easier. Keep well and enjoy the remainder of the week.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you Carol for the visit and the comment, much appreciated. Have a good day Diane

      Delete
  13. What a beauty! Have fun with your new lens.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi
    Awesome shots...not sure how to tell
    the sexes...I would go to google for
    a search...have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These guys are just adorable, even if they look like they want to scold you for staring!! Your new lens is working well :)

    It's awesome to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting, it is appreciated and it is my policy to try to answer every one even if only to say thank you.
NO COMMENT THAT HAS A LINK WILL BE PUBLISHED, THANKS FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING.