Pages

Monday 1 October 2018

Birds of Europe - Mostly seen in the garden, you will recognise the pot holder that they use as a bath!

As always, I hope that my identification is correct, please let me know if there should be any mistakes.

Common wood pigeon (Columba palumbus).
French name - Pigeon ramier.

House sparrows - both females - (Passer domesticus) and a Eurasian blue tit (Cyanistes caeruleus).
French Names - Moineau domestique and Mésange bleue.

Eurasian jay (Garrulus glandarius). Seen in the Dordogne though they are local as well.
French name - Geai des chênes.

As above.

Eurasian siskin (Spinus spinus).
French name - Tarin des aulnes

House sparrow - male - (Passer domesticus).

Common redstart (Phoenicurus phoenicurus).
French name - Rougequeue à front blanc.

As above looking a little bedraggled after its bath. 😉


Linking up to 
Wild Bird Wednesday

14 comments:

  1. Hi Diane. I can't imagine ever seeing a Redstart in my garden. Here they are very much a bird of upland woodland. You must live in a quite rural and wooded location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil we live in a hamlet of only 10 houses and yes there are woodland and forest areas all around us. We have a number of Black redstarts around. One year they nested in our open shed where all the garden tools are and we could not get any of our tools out until the babies had flown the nest! Good excuse to do no work! Enjoy your week, Diane

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I could fill a whole blog with bathing birds, they fascinate me while they appear to enjoy it so much. Hope all is well Diane

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They are pretty but not often do I get a chance to take photos of them. They are so good at hiding in a tree behind branches!! Have a good day, Diane

      Delete
  4. Great pics, love the detail in your photos. Sweet redstart. Sure wish he was visiting my yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy for the comment, I do not see them often, but then I do not watch out for them as often as perhaps I should. Our office has only a skylight so I cannot see what is going on most of the time! Have a good day, Diane

      Delete
  5. Great set of pictures - I will be in Europe in about 10 days, so I hope to catch up with some of these birds.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delightful garden bird images, Diane. We only get Siskin in the garden in winter and I always get excited when they arrive. Jay, however, is a rare visitor to our garden - usually in summer. We once had a Redstart visit for a few seconds and I managed to get a shot of it - they are a far from common bird in Leicestershire, and my garden sighting was the first county record of the year!

    With my best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard I am not sure how common the Common redstarts are here though we have plenty of Black redstarts. I have never managed photos of the Jay in the garden but we see them regularly in the forest areas around us.
      Very best wishes Diane

      Delete
  7. Love that shot of the Pigeon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a pair that are regulars in the garden. Have a good day Diane

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting, it is appreciated and it is my policy to try to answer every one even if only to say thank you.
NO COMMENT THAT HAS A LINK WILL BE PUBLISHED, THANKS FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING.