Pages

Sunday 17 February 2019

Birds in our garden and overhead.

We are lucky enough to live right under the flight path of the Common Crane (Grus Grus) the first 3 photos were taken on 11 February 2019, and there were many thousands of them flying over, as always I hear them calling long before I see them - they are very noisy when in flight.

 Generally in great formation.

Although some are a bit haphazard!

 Again on 16 February, these were directly overhead.


As you can see here we are also on the flight path of several planes!

Eurasian blue tit (Cyanistes caeruleus).

Common chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs), male.

Eurasian collared dove (Streptopelia decaocto). Note how small the sparrow is by comparison - bottom right.

Great Tit (Parus major), female.

House sparrow (Passer domesticus), female.

A rare visitor to the garden and a long way away but for the record.
Common or European starling (Sturnus vulgaris).



Linking up to 


and


10 comments:

  1. How lovely to live under the Crane flyway! I bet you hear some fun “serenades” too! I’m envious of your fabulous flight shots too... beautiful! Love your feeder birds too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love spring and autumn for the crances we are right in their flight path. :-) Take care Diane

      Delete
  2. Awesome. If they're much like our SANDHILL CRANES, they do make loud calls, and heard before seen. Excellent in flight images. It took me a while to find the sparrow in the dove photo! (I'm here under my personal blog...not my bird photo blog, but wanted to stop in and send along my thanks for linking in at I'd Rather B Birdin)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recognise both your account names so no problem. The sparrow only just made it into the photo :-) Hope all is well Diane

      Delete
  3. Very nice - we get a crane here called the Brolga - but I never see them over my house - rather jealous!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twice a year we have the privilege of seeing the cranes over the house. We both enjoy watching them. Hope all is well Diane

      Delete
  4. You really captured the formations of the birds flying very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that difficult, I managed some shots the other day with only the small camera as well. Cheers Diane

      Delete
  5. The cranes must be moving south. Pretty soon ours will be going in the opposite direction! The collared-dove, sparrow and starling look just like a back yard in my neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Kenneth, they are flying North back to their summer breeding grounds over our house in France. The dove and the sparrow are certainly back yard but we seldom see a starling in the garden here. Thanks for the comment keep well. Diane

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting, it is appreciated and it is my policy to try to answer every one even if only to say thank you.
NO COMMENT THAT HAS A LINK WILL BE PUBLISHED, THANKS FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING.